Gaining weight is about eating more calories than what you use up. You’ll need to eat even more if you’re very active or have a fast metabolism. But there are better ways to gain weight than just eating a lot. Instead, try to eat five or six smaller meals throughout the day, focus on foods high in protein and fat, and include high-calorie snacks. These are some natural ways to gain weight.
Some people take different supplements and eat unhealthy food to gain weight fast, but without doing their homework first. This can lead to health issues, so it’s important to think before you eat. Instead, choose healthy foods that help build muscle and make you stronger.
Here, in this weight gain article, I have brought a couple of foods that can be guaranteed to help you to gain weight at home.
How to Gain Weight?
The basic idea is to eat more calories than you burn in a day. You could aim to eat about 300 to 500 calories more than what you need. Instead of making your meals bigger, try eating more often throughout the day. Also, try to eat more fats and protein. These are important if you’re trying to gain weight. You shouldn’t eat unhealthy fats and junk food to gain weight. This can lead to belly fat and serious health problems like diabetes, obesity, and heart disease in the future. It’s also good to do regular, light exercise to help build muscle.
Let’s take a look at the foods that can help you to gain weight:
1. Milk: Milk is referred to as a complete food. It’s packed with a wide range of nutrients that our bodies need to function properly. This includes proteins, calcium, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, and vitamins. In terms of protein, milk is an excellent source. It provides both casein and whey proteins, which are essential for our bodies. These proteins are particularly beneficial for those looking to add muscle mass to their bodies. Consuming milk can help in this regard. So, if you’re looking to gain muscle mass or simply want to maintain a healthy diet, consider adding milk to your daily routine.
2. Rice: Rice is a staple food in many cultures, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s not only convenient and affordable, but it’s also a great source of carbohydrates, which are essential for gaining weight. What makes rice particularly beneficial for weight gain is its calorie density. This means that even a single serving of rice can provide you with a significant amount of carbs and calories. Just one cup of rice can give you about 200 calories, which can contribute to weight gain. So, if you’re looking to gain weight, incorporating rice into your diet could be an easy and tasty way to boost your calorie and protein intake.
3. Dried Fruits: Dried fruits can be a great addition to your diet if you’re looking to gain weight. These nutrient-dense foods are packed with a variety of antioxidants, proteins, calories, and micronutrients. What makes dried fruits particularly beneficial for weight gain is their naturally high sugar content. This means that they can provide a significant amount of calories, which can contribute to weight gain. A daily serving of dried fruits, including almonds, walnuts, and cashews, can be particularly beneficial for weight gain. So, if you’re looking to add some healthy calories to your diet, consider incorporating dried fruits into your daily routine.
4. Homemade Protein: Homemade smoothies can be a healthier alternative to store-bought protein supplements. These natural concoctions are not only packed with essential nutrients, but they’re also delicious and full of flavor. One of the key benefits of these shakes is their effectiveness in muscle building, especially when consumed shortly after a workout. This is because the nutrients in the smoothie can be quickly absorbed by the body, aiding in muscle recovery and growth. So, if you’re looking to gain weight or build muscle, consider adding these homemade smoothies to your diet.”
5. Red Meat: Red meat is considered a major source of protein, a nutrient that is essential for building muscles and gaining weight. It is rich in specific nutrients like leucine and creatine, which play an important role in enhancing muscle mass. This makes red meat a go-to choice for those looking to bulk up. These components work together to promote weight gain. It’s also worth noting that both fatty and lean cuts of meat can provide the proteins needed for weight gain. So, whether you prefer a juicy steak or a lean cut of beef, you can count on red meat to help you in your weight gain journey.
6. Fatty and oily fish: Fatty fish, like salmon, are packed with essential fatty acids and proteins. These nutrients not only help in gaining weight but also boost your immune system. Among the various nutrients present in these fish, Omega-3 stands out. Omega-3 fatty acids are known for their numerous health benefits, and they are particularly beneficial for weight gain. This makes fatty fish a great addition to a weight-gain diet. So, if you’re looking to gain weight, consider adding fatty fish like salmon to your diet. Not only are they delicious, but they’re also packed with nutrients that can help you achieve your weight gain goals.
7. Potatoes and starch: Starchy foods like potatoes and corn are well-known and delicious options for those looking to gain weight quickly. These foods are rich in carbohydrates and calories, which are essential for providing your body with the extra energy it needs. Consuming these foods can help increase your muscle glycogen stores, which are crucial for muscle growth and recovery. So, if you’re looking to gain weight, consider including starchy foods like potatoes and corn into your diet. They’re not only beneficial for weight gain but also contribute to overall health.
8. Whole grain bread: Whole grain bread is a source of carbohydrates that can contribute to weight gain. This food item can form the basis of a well-rounded meal when paired with protein-rich foods such as eggs, meat, and cheese. This combination not only provides a balance of macronutrients – carbohydrates from the bread and proteins from the eggs, meat, or cheese – but also makes for a delicious meal. But the benefits of whole grain bread go beyond just weight gain. So, if you’re looking to gain weight or simply want to maintain a healthy diet, consider incorporating whole-grain bread into your meals.
9. Avocados: Avocados are a major source of nutrition. They are packed with healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins, and fibers, all of which are essential for a balanced diet. The healthy fats in avocados are particularly beneficial for those looking to gain weight. These fats provide a concentrated source of calories, helping to increase your overall calorie intake. So, if you’re looking to gain weight or simply want to maintain a healthy diet, consider adding avocados to your meals.
10. Whole eggs: Whole eggs are great for gaining weight because they’re full of proteins, calcium, and good fats. They’re easy to find and can help build muscle. It’s important to eat the whole egg, including the yolk. There are lots of foods and supplements that can help you gain weight. But instead of eating lots of sweets or fatty foods, choose high-calorie foods that give you energy and help build muscle without the bad fats that can hurt your health.
11. Healthy fats and oils: Healthy oils are a fantastic source of calories and unlike other oils, they don’t come with the negative aspects associated with unhealthy oils. These oils can be incorporated into your diet in a variety of ways. Avocado oil and Coconut oil are healthy oils that can help boost your calorie intake. Each of these oils has its unique nutritional profile and flavor, making them a universal addition to a wide range of dishes. So, if you’re looking to increase your calorie intake, consider incorporating these healthy oils into your diet.
There are lots of foods and supplements that can help you gain weight. But instead of eating lots of sweets or fatty foods, choose high-calorie foods that give you energy and help build muscle without the bad fats that can hurt your health. Regular exercise that’s right for your age, along with a healthy, high-calorie diet, is the best way to gain weight healthily. Try not to snack between meals, make sure you drink enough water, and stick to your healthy, nutritious diet. Gaining weight takes time and patience, but it’s worth it in the end.
Dr. Roman Off is a multi-talented professional with expertise in psychology, nutrition, and content writing. She has a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and is a psychologist with several years of experience helping individuals overcome mental health issues. In addition, Dr. Roman Off is a dietitian and nutritionist, specializing in helping clients achieve optimal health through proper nutrition and lifestyle changes.